Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Satisfied in Him...

“Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.” -John Wooden

We often are trying to control every aspect of our lives. But every now and then life throws us a curveball

and our first reaction is to get upset because we didn’t see it coming. Life is full of unknowns and unpredictable situations. We stress out when we don’t know if we will make it into the college we want, or if we’ll pass a big exam. We happen to lose our job, or we happen to be somewhere we don’t like with someone we don’t like. Some situations we have no control over, but we do have complete control over our response to the situation.

It is said that ones true character is revealed in times of adversity, and how one deals with adversity. It is very easy to become overwhelmed and to get caught up into the negative energy that comes from difficult, unexpected, and uncomfortable situations. But the Lord does allow circumstances in our life that are difficult to test us, and to try us, and to sharpen us. Often we think the life of faith is a life free from troubles. But instead, the life of faith is a life overcoming troubles. And it is our faith that brings us victory. But with every victory, there has to be a battle.

I was eleven years old when my family and I moved from Southern California to Southern Oregon. I went from sunshiny city life to life in the country. This massive change in life styles was very challenging for me. I remember complaining all the time. I’d complain about the freezing cold winters, all the dirt, and the long drive into town. I always had something to complain. And all I could think about were the days in California where I lived my perfect life with my perfect friends in the perfect neighborhood. But I had no right to complain. We live in one of the most abundantly blessed lands in the world. This country enjoys plenty of food, shelter, electricity, running water, air conditioning, heating, transportation, and many modern conveniences and innovations. However this land is filled with grumblers. And as I reflect on it I was one of them, and can still be one. Although there are countless blessings, there seems to also be countless things to complain about—whether it be traffic, the economy, food prices, difficulties with family, or poor health. Just like the Israelite's who also continually complained. God supplied all of their needs and He preformed many miracles as theytraveled through the wilderness. He selected them as His people and promised to take them to a landfilled with milk and honey. But no matter what God did for them, it never seemed to be enough.But the Lord brought me to Oregon and He brought the Israelite's through the wilderness all for a purpose. We are not here on this earth to please ourselves. We are here to glorify the Lord and enjoy Him forever. And all that He decides to do is for His glorification.

And consider Pauls attitude when dealing with trials and afflictions: “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.Whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.”

So, when we begin to feel stressed or anxious, let's not complain but let us pause for a moment and choose to have a grateful heart because we know that we can trust in the Lord, and we know that...

All things work together for the good of those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose,”-(Romans 8:28) and because...

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! No matter what happens in our life, be good or bad, we should praise our Father! He is good and gracious, and does everything for a reason! If you all hadn't moved to Oregon, I would never have met you! I don't think.... That was a great post :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete